As part of Accelerate Okanagan’s commitment to encouraging collaboration between local industry and Okanagan College/ UBC, we were supported by NSERC to host an afternoon workshop and mixer entitled: “Developing Industry/ Academic Research Partnerships: Helping Okanagan companies tap into expertise, students, capacity and infrastructure at Okanagan post secondary institutions”.
Taking place at the Holiday Inn Express Kelowna Conference Centre on Monday, March 19, this workshop and networking reception was aimed at supporting the development of ongoing collaborative research partnerships as part of the overall Okanagan innovation landscape.
Okanagan College and the University of British Columbia are highly successful growing institutions that actively collaborate in many areas with local industry partners.
This highly informative workshop brought together companies, research funders and faculty from UBC and Okanagan College.
Local companies were made aware of how they might stand to benefit from these connections or from the various supporting and financial programs that are available, which they may access to facilitate joint research projects.
Attendees learned about:
- some of the programs that support industry engagement with academic research;
- how NSERC research partnership programs fund and support industry;
- how their competitors are currently using these initiatives to build competitive advantage;
- how increased collaboration and joint projects lead to new innovations; and
- how industry/ academic collaboration helps companies develop new ideas and improve their products, processes and international competitiveness.
Importantly, we hope that this workshop is used as a springboard from which to launch an ongoing series that brings together industry and academia for mutual benefit.
Please click here to find out how NSERC can help fund a research project for your business.
We would like to thanks the following speakers who made the workshop an informative and engaging event:
- Derek Gratz, Associate Director, University Industry Liaison Office (UILO), UBC
- Douglas Macleod, Assistant Dean, Science, Technology and Health for Okanagan College
- David Ledderhof, Researcher, Quails’ Gate Winery
- Ron Busch, Vice President, OK Builders Supplies Ltd.
- Pamela Giberson, Research & Innovation Development Officer, NSERC Pacific