Calling the hottest technology startups, entrepreneurs and growth companies with vision, technology and management – are you ready to take your business to the next level?
Accelerate Okanagan is pleased to announce the launch of the second annual “Jump:Start:Challenge”.
The Jump:Start:Challenge is an “investor-ready” pitch competition to support technology companies and entrepreneurs looking to start, accelerate and grow.
Entrants to the Jump:Start:Challenge will be invited to present their “investor pitch” at an open forum. The top 10 entrants will then receive eight weeks of expert training, coaching and mentorship to improve their pitch and increase their chances of raising capital.
An “investor pitch” is a 5 minute presentation (plus 3 mins. Q&A) made to potential investors telling them what they need to know to decide whether or not to invest in your company. To make your pitch “investor-ready”, you will need to prepare your presentation through the eyes of the investors and address their concerns.
Five finalists will then present their “investor ready” pitch to select members of the investment community – in Vancouver and the Okanagan.
Accelerate Okanagan’s Jump:Start:Challenge provides local technology companies and entrepreneurs with a unique opportunity to benefit from the support, assistance and insights of a dedicated team of experienced experts and Executives-in-Residence.
The Jump:Start:Challenge benefits entrants by providing concentrated help in cracking one of the most persistent business challenges: raising capital.
The Challenge provides participants with fresh thinking to help refine and validate their business idea, and will help provide new momentum to fund raising efforts.
Rob Bartlett, CEO of WTFast, won first place in the Jump:Start:Challenge in 2011 and in less than 2 years of operating, has built up a revenue of over $500k. Since winning, Robert has been doing the rounds of investor events including metabridge 2012 and the Los Angeles and San Diego Keiretsu Forums. Here he tells us about how winning the competition helped his business progress.
The objectives of the Jump:Start:Challenge include:
- To provide participants with hands-on training on how to get “investor ready” in order to best present their ideas to the investment community.
- To offer local technology companies the opportunity to formally pitch to key members of the Vancouver and Okanagan investment community.
The top 10 entrants will receive eight weeks of expert training, coaching and mentorship to improve their “pitches” and increase their chances of raising capital.
Five finalists will get to present their business ideas to pre-selected members of the investment community – in the Okanagan and Vancouver.
Awards packages for the top three companies will include free office space at Accelerate Okanagan’s Kelowna or Penticton Innovation Centres and free enrollment in the Venture Acceleration Program, which helps high potential technology companies accelerate their growth and maximize their opportunity.
- September 4th, 2012: Deadline for entry. E-mail a short description (1 page max) of your business concept to email@example.com or tweet it to @accelerateok.
- September 11, 2012: All entrants present their pitches at an open forum at Okanagan College, Jim Pattison Centre of Excellence. Top 10 selected. Register to attend this event here.
- September 20, 2012: Top 10 participate in program orientation and introductions.
- September 26, 2012: All 22 companies participate in Access to capital Workshop.
- October 04, 2012: Top 10 present their pitches at an evening forum at the Kelowna Innovation Centre.
- October 11, 2012: All 22 companies participate in Access to capital Workshop.
- October 17, 2012: Top 10 present their pitches at an evening forum at the Kelowna Innovation Centre.
- October 24, 2012: Top 10 participate in final preparation activities for Top 5 Pitch Event.
- November 1, 2012: Top 10 present their pitches at an evening forum at the Kelowna Innovation Centre. 5 Finalists selected and announced.
- November 8, 2012: 5 Finalists present to a select invitation-only group of investors in the Okanagan.
- November 14, 2012: 5 Finalists present to a select invitation-only group of investors in Vancouver.
- November 16th, 2012: Top 3 prize winners announced.
We are looking for technology ideas that have an excellent chance of market success and are deemed “fundable”.
Having a multidisciplinary team already in place would be considered an asset, but is not essential.
The venture should be Okanagan-based and ideally have at least one person working on it fulltime.
Even though there is no charge to enter the Jump:Start Challenge, we do require an absolute commitment from all entrants to participate fully in the various events and meet their commitments.