Accelerate Okanagan (AO) is looking for a talented individual
to join our team as a Program Lead for a new Access to Capital Program.
This is an excellent opportunity to use your experience and expertise to
make a measured difference in the Okanagan technology ecosystem. This is a highly focused, part-time,
Do the following statements resonate with you?
- You are driven by a deep desire to help
- You are an active listener
- You are an effective communicator (both written and verbal)
- You have a passion for entrepreneurship and startups
- You love to collaborate, share ideas and work in a team
- You are comfortable in social settings, and can hold
- These adjectives describe your personality: vibrant,
enthusiastic, quirky, and fun
- You are somewhat techy, Macs or PCs no judgement, as long as
you are comfortable and competent
The Problem and the Program
External investment capital is often needed for small and
medium enterprises to take advantage of growth opportunities. Access to Capital
is a comprehensive program which provides structured events, activities, and
training to activate and grow investment activity for early stage technology
Through extensive work within the technology community in
the Okanagan and Interior BC, several gaps have been identified in the access
to capital ecosystem:
- High density of investors but low education and risk
tolerance for technology investments
- High density of startups but low education around the access
to capital process
- Limited structured channels for entrepreneurs and investors
Several activities, events, and programs have been developed
in the last several years to help address these gaps. Access to Capital builds
on these successes to create a comprehensive program to support entrepreneurs
There are three key components in Access to Capital:
- Public Education Events: Access to capital education events for both entrepreneurs and investors.
- One-On-One Training: A structured mentorship program focused on pitch practice,
due diligence, and valuation training
- Investor / Entrepreneur Matching: A highly curated, private approach to creating meaningful interactions between investors and entrepreneurs.
The Program Lead position is a part-time contract
role focused on a new Access to Capital program with Accelerate Okanagan. You
will be responsible for facilitating a structured access to capital education
program, coordinating public education events, coordinating private investor
meetings, and building curated relationships between technology entrepreneurs,
investors, and Accelerate Okanagan.
This position reports directly to the Program Manager and
will work within the AO team to help execute on Accelerate Okanagan’s strategic
vision. This role will be strongly supported by the Program Strategist for
strategic direction and the Events Coordinator for event planning and
This part-time contract role is critical in successful
delivery of an effective program and is an exciting opportunity to help make a
measured difference in the Okanagan technology ecosystem.
This role is available immediately and will end on March 31,
2018 with an option to renew for an additional 12 months.
Hours are flexible and driven mostly by your meeting and
event schedule. A desk and meeting rooms are available as needed.
Key Functions of the Role
- Support the development, implementation, and improvement of
the Access to Capital program
- Key contact for entrepreneurs who join the Access to Capital
- Help curate effective educational content for the Access to
- Build relationships with investors, entrepreneurs, and
- Support the organization of both public and private events
and meetings related to the Access to Capital program.
- Liaise with Executives-In-Residence (EIR), staff, clients,
and investors to plan appropriate access to capital and speakers for public
- Facilitate private investor meetings with entrepreneurs.
- Help steward effective interactions between entrepreneurs
- Help evaluate investor readiness of technology entrepreneurs
- Measure and report on program effectiveness and feedback
Skills and Qualifications:
- Demonstrated experience raising capital and/or going through
the capital raising process
- Ability to exercise good judgment in recognizing scope of
authority and protecting confidential information a must.
- Experience working with entrepreneurs, investors, and an
understanding of the capital raising process
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including
spelling, grammar and punctuation and comfortable using technology to communicate
- Excellent listener
- Strong networking skills and experience
- Demonstrating experience developing and delivering effective
presentations to diverse stakeholders
- Knowledgeable and proficient use of personal computer
including practical experience with Microsoft Word, Excel and other applicable
software and CRM packages
- Candidate must be very organized and able to prioritize
- Candidate must be friendly, personable and able to build
harmonious working relationships with clients, co-workers and the general
How to Apply
Please forward your resume and expression of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org. We thank all candidates for their applications; however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.